Forget trying to bag an upgrade by using the tried and tested tricks of honeymoons, birthdays and huge social media followings, Monarch is offering customers free upgrades simply for being nice.
As part of Monarch’s year long campaign to promote traditional values of chivalry, courtesy and respect, selected customers will be rewarded for polite behaviour with the holy grail of free perks – a seat upgrade.
The discretionary free upgrades include extra leg room seats - offering up to 15% more space and with a value of over £100 (for two people) – as well as priority check in.
The low cost airline and holiday company is following in the footsteps of Pret a Manger to make the incentive part of booking policy.
It comes after a Monarch study conducted by Professor Jonathan Freeman at i2 Media Research at Goldsmiths University linked being nice to an increase in happiness, perceived health and success (SEE VIDEO LINKS ABOVE)
The study was led by Jonathan Freeman, Professor of Psychology at Goldsmith’s University’s i2 Media Research Lab. 100 participants completed a series of psychological research measures before taking part in two lab-based behavioural demonstrations (one being 'FaceReader' technology, below)
Nils Christy, Chief Operating Officer at Monarch, added: “We are often described as the nicer airline and holiday company and we pride ourselves on this. Our customer services staff are already nice – now they can reward those who are positively nice to them too.”
Subject to availability, Monarch customer services staff are allowed to give away a certain amount of the free upgrades to extra leg room seats and priority check in every week.
Nils continued: “Everyone benefits from niceness. Planes depart more punctually, staff and customers are happier and it improves the travelling experience for everyone.”
Full terms and conditions below. For nicer flights and holidays visit www.monarch.co.uk
Monarch is a leading UK independent airline group. The company includes a scheduled airline, in-house tour operator and an award-winning engineering division. Flying from 5 UK bases, London Gatwick, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds-Bradford and Luton where it is headquartered; the airline offers 6million sector seats to leisure destinations. The tour operating division offers package holidays across the airlines scheduled network focusing on beach, city and ski breaks. Monarch was voted the world’s most punctual low cost carrier in OAG’s Punctuality League 2016.
How the Monarch Nice Initiative works
1. Our customer services staff have up to a total of ten upgrades or priority check ins per week to give to customers who are especially nice over the phone
2. The upgrades or check ins refer to a whole booking (eg to two people who are travelling together)
3. Seat upgrades are strictly subject to availability and are at the absolute discretion of the customer services team
4. The customer must be aged 18 years or over
5. The upgrade or priority check in is non-transferrable and is to be used by the chosen customer only
6. No cash alternative is available
7. The upgrade may not be re-presented as a prize for any other prize draw or similar
8. General flight terms and conditions apply and can be found at http://www.monarch.co.uk/terms/flights.
For further information please contact the Press Office:
Tel: 0203 206 9977
Follow Monarch.co.uk on Twitter @monarch and on Facebook facebook.com/Monarch
For further information or to book Monarch flights please visit www.monarch.co.uk